Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sound... but no visual? Can this be fixe ...

Ok can I please get this out of the way before I begin to ask, I know how to insert a AV Cable from an Xbox 360 to a TV, and I haven't changed any settings at all from the Xbox Dashboard... I'm just saying this just to make sure no-one asks those questions.

A friend of mine was playing Oblivion on his Xbox when me %26 him suddenly saw what appeared to be blue silhouettes from wherever a NPC or object had just moved. He switched the Xbox off incase it was just a slight problem with the AV cable, and about an hour later turned it back on to find that he could only hear the sounds of the Xbox Dashboard, but no visual... he's tried everything from buying a brand new AV Cable, to using 2 different TVs... yet the problem remains. Can anyone tell us what's happened? He doesn't really want to send it back to Microsoft as he bought it on the release date so it's waaay past his warranty... Plus he said he'd rather pay for a new one rather than get it repaired... he's wierd in that way. Thanks.Sound... but no visual? Can this be fixe ...
There can be 2 cases I can think of:



1. You have the odd error where you must boot your 360 twice to get picture. I've had this lately but now it's gone.

2. Your Graphics-card is dead.



Note that these are only what I can come up with.Sound... but no visual? Can this be fixe ...
[QUOTE=''-eddy-'']There can be 2 cases I can think of: 1. You have the odd error where you must boot your 360 twice to get picture. I've had this lately but now it's gone. 2. Your Graphics-card is dead. Note that these are only what I can come up with.[/QUOTE]



Well it can't be the 1st case as I've switched it on and off many times... If it's the 2nd one... Ouch! Thanks for this though.
i had the same problem last year and i had to send in my 360 to microsoft and they gave me a different one and i never had that problem since. I think you should do the same man.
Its a known (but not acknowledged) issue. It appears to be related to the RROD. Basically the graphics chip gets overheated and dislodges or gets cracks causing it to fail. He might have had lock ups previously with funny colours/lines. Sometimes it will just work again after a while, sometimes not. I have had 2 systems do this to me. One just failed and that was it - no graphics but you can hear the startup sounds, when plugged into HDMI it woudn't start at all - I had it replaced under warranty. Another did it also but would work again in a while but each time it got worse. Eventually that system gave the RROD.



If you're within 3 years then a little heat should probably make it RROD which would make it covered by MS.



Say sorry to your friend for me - its heartbreaking I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment